Thursday, September 6, 2007

Destination Wonder

Last night we had our first meeting of Destination Wonder, the new DeKalb Public Library SF reading club. We had gone in not really knowing what to expect. Our friend Steve is running it, and I will admit that I was a little worried that Lynne and I would be the only ones there. I was way off the mark. The club was packed to almost standing room only. It was wonderful. I had no idea that there were so many SF fans in town who would be interested in a reading club.

This month’s book was The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. We had a nice discussion with cookies. What else could I want? It was also heavily leaning towards women who outnumbered the men about 3 to 1. It was a very polite, intelligent discussion. The only difficulty was trying not to play up the fact that Lois is an acquaintance of ours. This club is definitely a great addition to our calendars. It will keep us reading things that we would otherwise not give a try. Here is the schedule for the rest of school year:

Oct. 5 at 7:00 p.m.
Fahrenheit 451
Ray Bradbury

Nov. 7 at 7:00 p.m.
I Am Legend
Richard Matheson

Dec. 5 at 7:00 p.m.
The Golden Compass
Philip Pullman

Jan. 2 at 7:00 p.m.
Small Gods
Terry Pratchett

Feb. 6 at 7:00 p.m.
Paragaea
Chris Roberson

Mar. 5 at 7:00 p.m.
Resume with Monsters
William Browning Spencer

Apr. 2 at 7:00 p.m.
Last Call
Tim Powers

May 7 at 7:00 p.m.
Hyperion
Dan Simmons

1 comment:

Roman said...

I'm very glad you and Lynne (and everybody else) had a good time. There are indeed a LOT of Fantasy / SF readers in DeKalb--I have a hell of a time trying to weed, because *EVERYTHING* has been checked out within the last year.