Friday, October 19, 2007

Nine Things That Didn't Suck This Week

It’s a quiet Friday, and I have a sleepy girl. It looks like most of my day is going to be spent keeping her awake. It’s been a bummer of a week, but some positive things have happened.

1- The 2008 Aicardi Syndrome Family Conference was announced. Hooray!
2- Lars just asked me for my year’s worth of work on the Soon-To-Be-Announced Guidebook for Mad Norwegian Press. With AHistory 2nd Edition and About Time 6 off to press, Lars and the team can now focus on this gigantic book. It was good to send those files away.
3- I has new Doctor Who action figures! This month I got Dr. Constantine (The Empty Child), The Gelth Zombie (The Unquiet Dead), Mickey Smith (Doomsday), Brannigan (Gridlock), and a Scarecrow (Human Nature). My collection is getting crazy big. I have about 55 of the little buggers and the TARDIS Playset. The sad thing is that I’m still missing a number of figures. I can’t say enough how much I love these figures. They are so wonderful, especially when they are compared to the Dapol figures of yore. I feel like I’m 10 every time I get one.
4- Lynne did some mad networking at a work function on Wednesday night. It was a dinner for new faculty hosted by the President of NIU. The food was good, the bar was open, and we got to meet numerous department chairs and deans. I also got to network with some of the Special Education professors. It looks like Caitlin and I may be speaking to some classes in the future.
5- We really got a lot of support from our friends and family. It is always nice to realize that we are not alone.
6- I got my first LJ friend request from someone who was a mystery to me. I am now about 90% sure that I know who the person is.
7- I finished revisions on a short story. I am much happier with it than the last one. Lynne is currently looking it over.
8- I was mentioned by first name in two separate blogs of successful authors this week. Thanks to Lyda Morehouse and E.E. Knight for that little slice of cool.
9- I asked a question on the Wyrdsmiths writers’ blog (http://wyrdsmiths.blogspot.com/) that actually inspired some discussion about when someone can call himself or herself a writer. As it turns out, I’m a writer. Yippee!

Tonight we are off to Trader Joe’s. You know you’re getting old when you look forward to a Friday night out at the grocery store.

Just Finished Reading: I Am Legand by Richard Matheson
Currently Reading: The Mirador by Sarah Monette

2 comments:

Katie said...

Ah, if only we had a Trader Joe's here... or an IKEA for that matter. Guess I'll have to settle for some famous Gas Station BBQ.

Michael Damian Thomas said...

It's a little bit of a haul, but we're glad to have a Trader's Joe's.

We really miss having good BBQ. Lil' Porgy's sounds really good for dinner right now.