Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yikes! I'm a Writer!

I took a big step today. This morning I sent a manuscript of a short story to an SF magazine. I’m a little bit freaked out. I was cracking Lynne up this morning since I am usually the calm one during a crisis. I’m fine with life and death, but I’m a mess with this writer stuff.

This is only the third time I’ve ever submitted anything. The first time was some poetry that got rejected. The second was for a contest. This is the first submission that really means something to me. This is the next necessary step on my journey.

I think it’s a good little story, though I know they will reject it. That’s just part of the process. Almost every author that I have met has accumulated dozens if not hundreds of rejection letters. It’s how you learn, and I’m finally ready.

Work is heating up with the Mad Norwegian Press project. It was very odd to have Lars call me a co-writer yesterday (there are four of us). When it is hopefully released next year, I will have my name on the cover. That is pretty frickin’ awesome. For years I’ve amassed a collection of books on this general subject, and I’ve admired those researchers and authors. It’s very exciting to know that I will soon be joining their ranks.

The book is also going to be massive. Our goal is to be the definitive work on the subject. I will be walking on air at Chicago TARDIS after its announcement.

No comments: