Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Hacking Away...

My writing has slowed down a bit the last few days. I’m still managing to get work done everyday, but it’s been hard to really build up a head of steam. My personal project is up to 24,000 words. I am getting close to needing to do a serious edit. I am at the point where I’m worrying about some internal continuity issues. Hopefully, Lynne will carve some time out for me to get this done over the weekend.

I am consoling myself by reading a bunch of writer blogs. Most writers seem to recommend quality over quantity. I just remind myself that I’m still proud of what I’ve been writing, and it’s not like I have a deadline. What’s important is that I am consistently writing everyday. This is a huge leap for me.

Time is my biggest problem. Caitlin has had a couple of rough days of seizures. Caitlin’s health is always the priority. That’s what scuppered my progress this morning. I can’t concentrate on being creative if my little girl is unwell. Not to mention the time that I need to devote to all of my organizations. Now that summer is almost over, things are getting active again.

I also keep chiseling away at the Mad Norwegian Press project. The announcement can come any day now. The brain trust is about to make a final decision on a name. Lars has been heavily hinting about the project in The Outpost Gallifrey Forums. It will be nice to be able to openly crow about the project. I am so proud to be a part of it. This should be the definitive guidebook to Mama’s Family. Oops, I let it slip.

2 comments:

Roman said...

Have you mentioned the nature of the "personal project" yet? I can't remember.

And thank you for keeping us updated about Caitlin--we're all concerned.

Michael Damian Thomas said...

Nope. I’m still a little uneasy talking about it. Suffice to say that it is my first serious attempt at writing a novel.

We appreciate everybody’s concern. The first half of last week was excellent, but the weekend was rough. Monday was much better, and today has only been mediocre. Hopefully the epilepsy will level off at something acceptable soon. Especially since Caitlin is back to school next week.